Saturday, December 6, 2008

Growing Up In A Small Town Part 1

I know that you all have been waiting for today's posting...especially since I gave you a teaser yesterday. I have decided to talk about my growing up in a small town as a mini series. Yes....just like on TV.

Part 1

I spent a good portion of my life in a small community. Growing up there was very rewarding and provided many opportunities that a large community would not have afforded me. That being said.....on with the RANT!

One of my favorite things about growing up in this particular small town was the fact that prostitution was legal. Yes...the worlds oldest profession that in most communities is shammed was legal in the community in which I grew up. In this backward community, it was not only legal, but many saw it as a rite of passage into adulthood. Yes, I knew many high school students whom when they turned the rite ole age of 18, their fathers (or male figures that their moms shacked up with) would take them down to the brothel.

So...the community had three brothels. What was best about them is that the town promoted as a tourist attraction a train. The train was great for families, old people, and all train enthusiasts. The train tracks ran right behind one of the brothels. As the train approached the brothel, the train engineer would whistle its horn signaling to the hmmm..how should I put it?....Well call them....women of the night...to come out and wave to the train.

Now these were not the type of women you would see in a Jay-Z music video shaking their rumps. Yes, the women of the nightly were not very attractive. I guess lying on your back for a living does not promote good hygiene or beauty.

Another brothel had an interesting sign above the door. (Full Disclosure Time...I have never personally been into one of these brothels. However...I used to take my family and friends on tours of the town, and yes...the main attraction was the red light district). The sign that was posted directly above the ATM machine that was just outside the front door (not so sutle is it?) read "Now that you have had all the rest, come in for the best!" WHAT THE CRACK?!@$%^&?? I think this demonstrates the mentality of the industry.

At Christmas time...the community would show their true colors...literally. Just as most other communities, the town would get all decorated with a Santa in the town park, a Nativity, and Christmas lights criss crossing down Main street. The best part of the Christmas lights were the very last string. I bet you can not guess what color they were? RED! Now that is class!

Several years ago, there were a group of people who wanted to revers the law that made prostitution legal in this community. As one growing up there, I thought...okay...most people would oppose this because the topic is so taboo. No would would want to discuss it let along support it. NOT IN THIS COMMUNITY!!! I should have remembered that going to the brothel was a rite of passage for the men.

There were petitions in support of the Women of the night and brothels. Of course, the petition's were made public and reading them brought me many days full of Nuggets of Joy!

That may seem odd to hear, but it was amazing to see people whom you respected, whom were communities leaders sign their name in favor of a brothal!!! There was even a city counsel meeting where people actually stood up and expressed their support for the Women of the night and brothels.

So you may be curious as to what the brothels looked like. Like I said, I have not been in them, but I know people who have.

Apparently, there is a giant menu board of ummm....services that are offered and their accompanying cost. Yes...a menu board like McDonald's. You can walk up to the bar, place your order, and one of the women of the night would take you back into the shadows of shame for servicing.

The brothels looked like a compound. They were surrounded by a giant concrete wall with ghetto single wide trailers. Now these were not new trailers, but rather those that were probably picked up from a junk yard that were destroyed (or what most would considered destroyed) by tornado's. I am certain that if you even steeped into one of these trailers, you would immediately get a disease. I guess it is HARD to care when you are ummm.....getting serviced.

Needless to say...nothing has changed. It amazes me that something that again is so taboo to discuss (except of course on my blog), something so backwards, oppressive, and just plain discussing would still be legal today.

Oh a happier note...We should all be grateful for those who are supporting the local women of the night. After all, with an economy in the dumps, no one would want to see these poor girls out of work, not using the skills that they have perfected.

No comments: